You ask why we give our Ships’
Computers normal Emotions? Do you really want a Warship
Incapable of Loyalty? Or of Love?
The Unshattered Allegiance,
High Guard Frigate
Artificial Intelligence Rights Activist,
Here in the Philippines, Filipinos love to watch Western films and TV shows. Many are not just fans of a franchise or a series but of the actors and actresses as well. Did you know that there are many Filipinos in these films and TV series that we regularly watch?
Here are my first five picks most of you probably did not know have Filipino blood in them.
Lexa Doig was born “Alexandra Lecciones Doig” on 1973 June 8th from David W. Doig and her Filipino Registered Nurse mother, Gloria B. Lecciones, hailing from Dumaguete City. Her great lineage did not stop there, her father is a Canadian engineer of Scottish and Irish descent.
You probably have seen her in various films and TV series, but her notable (at least for me) are the following:
- Continuum (2012-Present). She plays the role of Sonya Valentine, a major character and a leader of the time-traveling “terrorist” organisation called Liber8. This series started in 2012 and Season 3 is currently running as of this post. (A must watch.)
- Stargate SG-1 (2005-2007), as Dr. Carolyn Lam. She appeared for 11 episodes in Seasons 9 and 10. She played the role of Stargate Command’s chief medical officer. Together with her, already husband actor Michael Shanks, who is the famous Daniel Jackson.
- Andromeda (2000-2005). In my opinion, the series that rocketed her way up there. She played three roles:  the ever logical Andromeda Artificial Intelligence;  the Andromeda A.I. Hologram; and  the human-like avatar Rommie. All three of her characters love to disagree with each other, even though they’re of the same programming. She’s a mainstay and an integral part of the franchise. Three (3) roles for 6 Seasons.
- Jason X (2001) as Rowan LaFontaine. The 10th in the Friday the 13th film franchise.
- TekWar, TekWar: TekLords (1994) & TekWar (TV series) (1994-1996), all as Cowgirl.
Cool tidbits: Lexa loves to read, play computer RPGs, and Dungeons & Dragons. Yeah, she’s a gamer alright.
You can follow Lexa Doig on Twitter here: @LexaShmexa.
Fans of Gene Roddenberry’s Earth: Final Conflict probably know this, the only recurring actor/character in the series was Von Flores who played the character Agent Ronald Sandoval. His real name is “Valentin Andres Tanga Flores IV”, a Filipino-Canadian actor.
You probably have seen him in the following titles if you have not seen Earth: Final Conflict:
- Mayday (a.k.a. Air Crash Investigations), episode “Bomb on Board”. He played the role of Captain Eduardo “Ed” Reyes of Philippine Airlines Flight 434, a 57-year old veteral pilot who was able to land the aircraft affter bomb exploded.
- The Adventures of Sinbad
- TekWar, TekJustice, and TekLords
- Kung Fu: The Legend Continues
Lou Diamond Phillips
Any fan of Western films and TV shows should know him. He’s been in the industry since the early 80s. A successful actor and director, Lou was born “Lou Diamond Upchurch” on 1962 February 17th at the Subic Bay Naval Station, here in the Philippines. He’s the son of Gerald Upchurch and Lucity Arenas, his Filipino-Spanish mother from Candelaria, Zambales.
Lou strongly supports and advocates the Filipino Veterans Equity Act of 2006, a legislation to provide the same benefits to Filipino World War II veterans who served with the United States. He is also known as “Star Keeper” in the Sioux tribe, a Native American community, even though he himself is a Cherokee by lineage.
I know him from these films and series:
- Courage Under Fire (1996)
- Bats (1999)
- Supernova (2000)
- Absolon (2001)
- Numb3rs (2005-2010), the role of Agent Ian Edgerton
- Stargate Universe (2009-2011), as Colonel David Telford
- Chuck (2011), as Augusto Gaez
You can follow him on Twitter: @LouDPhillips
Nicole Gale Anderson
Born in Indiana on 1990 August 29th from an American father and mother of Filipino descent. She started her career in 2005 as a Cheerleader in an Unfabulous episode entitled “The Grey Area”. She also appeared as “Marissa Hughes” in Hannah Montana, and in a Disney Channel Original Series, Jonas L.A. as Macy Misa from 2009 to 2010.
After that, she had a recurring role as Kelly Parker in Make It or Break It, a series about athletes aiming to get into the Olympics, from 2009 to 2012. Her latest is in the TV series Beauty & the Beast as Heather Chandler, the younger sister of Catherine (played by Kristin Kreuk).
An actress and a singer who rose to popularity when she took the role of Gabriella Montez in Disney’s High School Musical series. She was born in California from a father of Irish and Native American descent, Gregory Hudgens and her mother Gina Guangco, of Spanish-Chinese-Filipino descent from Manila, on 1988 December 14th.
I first knew her from Disney’s High School Musical series and became a fan then. The next film that I watched was the 2011 movie Sucker Punch where she played a character by the name of “Blondie”. Then in 2012 Journey 2: The Mysterious Island as Kailani.
She’s not only an actress but a singer too. If I will make a similar list of International Filipino singers, she’ll probably be in it.
You can follow her official Tumblr here: vanessahudgens.tumblr.com
Of course there are many more. The above are just my first 5 top picks. My next five will surprise you even more. Wait for it!
Cool to be a Filipino, right? Mabuhay!
5 Popular Filipino Celebrities in Canada and the US by Yuki is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Legal Notice.