The Demigod Files Timeline
Latest update here: Rick Riordan Mythology Timeline
Looking for the dates when the events in The Demigod Files occured? Your search is over! On this post, I will show you when the short stories–Percy Jackson and the Stolen Chariot, Percy Jackson and the Bronze Dragon, Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades–fits in our combined timeline.
Of course, if you have already seen our combined timeline, then you already know the dates. You can read on and decide for yourself if you agree with my key points.
Percy Jackson and the Stolen Chariot
The first short story in The Demigod Files was not easy to pin to a particular date. There were no obvious clues in this event. However, I am not one to give up and let it hang. I re-read it multiple times and came up with the following key clues and conclusion.
- It was about Ares’ war chariot.
- It was about Clarisse.
- It was not snowing.
- Out-of-character: This story was the first in The Demigod Files. The next happened after The Sea of Monsters.
That’s about it. No mention of which school Percy was. No mention of dates, mortal events, no nothing. The best I can use was the fourth reason I listed, it was the first story in this collection. This I noticed with The Demigod Diaries, the short stories were ordered chronologically.
She froze as a lady with a three-year-old girl passed by. The girl said, “Pony on fire!”
They did not notice the little girl can see the through the Mist. I wonder who she’s going to be. That’s a character Rick Riordan can use in the future.
Story date: A day between 2005 August 18 and November.
Percy Jackson and the Bronze Dragon
It was the end of June. I’d come back from my most recent quest about two weeks before and life at Camp Half-Blood was returning to normal.
We were all excited because that evening capture the flag was going to be totally vicious.
All I had to do was find a June 30th that falls on a Friday, it was capture-the-flag day. The closest year was 2006. Then find which quest Percy was referring to, it was no other than The Sea of Monsters which happened from June 8 to 18. Fit enough for his “most recent quest about two weeks before” statement.
- Charlie/Charles Beckendorf was the lead counsellor for the Hephaestus cabin.
- Charlie/Charles and Percy were close.
- Charlie/Charles was 18 years old.
- Charlie/Charles and Silena Beauregard (head counsellor for the Aphrodite cabin) started dating.
- Charlie/Charles was trying to approach and tell Silena what he’s feeling for her for 3 long years already.
- Annabeth asked Percy to be with her on the “biggest dating event of the summer”, July 4th. (This was their second “date” if we count the informal one after their quest on The Lightning Thief.)
- The Hephaestus Bronze Dragon was found and activated on this day. (Which Leo Valdez later captured and fixed in The Lost Hero.)
- About 15 years ago from this year, the Bronze Dragon disappeared into the woods. Count back and we have the year 1991/1992
- The Hephaestus cabin created the Bronze Dragon and protected Camp Half-Blood for over a decade. Its creation would be sometime in the early 80s–1980/1981/1982.
Story date: 2006 June 30th
Percy Jackson and the Sword of Hades
This one was pretty straightforward. The clues were:
- Last day of the winter semester at Goode High School.
- Nico was “about twelve”. Nico was only 10 during the events in The Titan’s Curse, which was on December 2007. This would mean, Nico’s birthday is sometime January or February for him to look “about twelve” to Percy.
- Mrs. O’leary was already with Percy. She was given to his care at the end of The Battle of the Labyrinth.
- The war with Kronos has not happened yet. (It happened on 2009 August 11-18 in the book The Last Olympian.)
- It was the story about the Sword of Hades, which he used in The Last Olympian.
- Nico followed up his offer to Percy. When Thalia asked him, Percy said it was “something he told me last summer”. This was on August 18, 2008, Percy’s birthday and the end of the book The Battle of the Labyrinth.
Percy’s Sense of Time
As we have established in the previous articles, Percy do have a not-so-good sense of time. Here are two examples:
- Percy hadn’t seen Thalia in “over a year”. Which wasn’t exactly “over a year” because The Titan’s Curse quest was on 2007 December 16-21. In fairness to Percy, if he last saw her on December 21, 2007, it was “over a year” already since this story took place on December 25, 2008. Four days difference.
- Bianca died a couple of years ago. Which was not possible because Bianca died during The Titan’s Curse. A “couple of years” is no less than 2 years, hence, “couple”.
Story date: 2008 December 25th
Don’t forget to read the Combined Timeline if you haven’t done so!
Latest update here: Rick Riordan Mythology Timeline
Is a self-confessed bibliophile and technophile other than being an early adopter, an avid gamer, a geek, nerd, role-player, anime otaku, and trekker.
His first online project was in 1998 when he launched the unofficial website for Ansalon MUD (a text-based, telnet online game) and his own community forums Laibcoms.Community. By 2003 he created his work blog GM-Yukino which grew into gameshogun™, Snoworld™, and techmagus™ over the years.
Yuki’s latest project is Verses.Space™, a Free Culture / Creative Commons, collaborative, and shared-world, worldbuilding and writing project.
The Demigod Files Timeline by Yuki (雪) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Legal Notice.